This morning at approximately 2:00 a.m., a trooper was stopped in the median of I-93 North in Wilmington, North of Ballardvale St., to assist a disabled motorist. A second trooper was also on scene, stopped to the rear of the first cruiser when 21 year-old KELSIE BETTENCOURT of Pelham, N.H., struck the rear of the first cruiser, pushing it into the second. Both troopers sustained minor injuries and were transported to Lawrence General Hospital by Wilmington Ambulance. BETTENCOURT was placed under arrest and is charged with the following:
1. Operating Under the Influence of Alcohol
2. Negligent Operation of a Motor Vehicle
3. Fail to Change Lanes for an Emergency Vehicle
4. Marked Lanes Violation
5. Possession of Class E Narcotics
6. Possession of One Ounce or Less of Marijuana
Both troopers have been released from the hospital. Their names are not anticipated to be released today. BETTENCOURT will be arraigned today in Woburn District Court.
No further information is available at this time. Please do not call the barracks directly.
— 30 —
— 30 —