Massachusetts State Police Release — 02262018 — Armed Career Criminal Arrested in Boston
On Wednesday February 21, 2018, at approximately 4:40 p.m., Trooper Joseph Merrick of the A Troop CAT team was on patrol of Route 1A in Boston, when he signaled a Nissan Altima to stop for motor vehicle violations. The vehicle did not immediately stop, but continued on for 30 yards at 10 MPH before finally stopping.
Trooper Merrick made contact with the driver, subsequently identifying the driver as SOPHIA DIGIACOMO, 19, of East Boston. The passenger sitting in the rear seat without a seatbelt was identified as DANA HOWELL, 33, of Brighton. As a result of an investigation, DIGIACOMO and HOWELL were found to be in possession of a loaded firearm, stun gun, multiple bags of marijuana, and a prescription pill bottle with the label removed. Both occupants were not licensed to carry a firearm or ammunition.
DIGIACOMO and HOWELL were placed under arrest and transported to the State Police Revere Barracks for booking.
DIGIACOMO was charged with the following offenses:
- Possession of a firearm without FID card
2. Possession of ammunition without FID card
3. Failure to signal
HOWELL was charged with the following offenses:
- Possession of a firearm/ammunition without FID card subsequent offense
2. Armed career criminal
3. Carrying a dangerous weapon
4. Possession/ carrying of a firearm without FID 2nd offense
5. Possession of Class E drug
6. Possession to distribute Class D drug (Marijuana) subsequent offense
7. Failure to wear seat belt
No further information is available. Please do not contact the barracks directly.