Massachusetts State Police Media Release – 02212018 – Three Men Arrested in Worcester on Drug and Gun Charges
A motor vehicle stop on Southbridge Street in Worcester yesterday evening led to the arrest of three men on gun and drug charges.
Trooper Benjamin Grasso, a recent graduate of the 83rd RTT, and his Field Training Officer, Trooper Paul Aten, were on patrol on Southbridge Street in Worcester when they stopped a 2006 Nissan Altima for a motor vehicle violation. When the troopers approached the vehicle, they noticed the front-seat passenger make quick, furtive movements, causing them concern for their safety. Upon further investigation, troopers determined the operator did not have a license in possession and subsequently formed the opinion that he was operating under the influence of drugs. The two passengers were in possession of a substance believed to be heroin. The front-seat passenger was also determined to be in possession of substances believed to be cocaine and marijuana. Troopers also discovered a loaded .40 caliber Glock model 27 with two high capacity magazines inside the vehicle.
All three men were placed under arrest and transported to the State Police Barracks in Millbury for booking. The driver, MATTHEW MILLER, 26, of Worcester, and his front-seat passenger, MICHAEL IACOVONE, 47, also of Worcester, were both charged with the following offenses:
1. Unlawful Possession of a Firearm
2. Carrying a Loaded Large Capacity Firearm on a way
3. Possession of a Large Capacity Feeding Device
4. Carrying a Loaded Firearm
5. Possession of a Large Capacity Firearm in the Commission of a Felony
6. Possession of Ammo without an FID Card
MILLER was additionally charged with:
1. Conspiracy to Violate the Drug Law
2. Being Present Where Heroin is Kept
3. Carrying a Firearm While Intoxicated
4. Operating Under the Influence of Drugs
5. License Not In Possession
6. Marked Lanes Violation
IACOVONE was additionally charged with:
1. Trafficking in Heroin
2. Possession with Intent to Distribute a Class A Substance (Heroin)
3. Possession of a Class B Substance (Subsequent Offense)
4. Possession of an Open Container of Marijuana in a Motor Vehicle
5. Seatbelt Violation
The rear-seat passenger, JAMES TOOHIL, 52, of Worcester, was charged with:
1. Possession of a Class A Substance (Subsequent Offense)
2. Seatbelt Violation.
MILLER and IACCOVE were held on $5,000.00 and $100,000.00 bail respectively pending their arraignment in Worcester District Court today. TOOHIL was released on personal recognizance.