Massachusetts State Police Media Release – 08062018 – State Police arrest Worcester man on gun charges in Sturbridge
Yesterday at about 1:30 a.m., a Worcester man was arrested on Route 84 in Sturbridge on gun charges following a motor vehicle stop.
Trooper Gregory Gough pulled over a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee on Route 84 eastbound for motor vehicle infractions. Further investigation revealed that the operator, MIGUEL PORTELA, 23, of Worcester, was unlicensed to operate a motor vehicle and he was placed under arrest.
With assistance from Trooper Kevin Hobart, an inventory of the vehicle prior to towing led to the discovery of a Smith and Wesson .40 caliber handgun with a fully loaded, large capacity magazine.
PORTELA was transported to the State Police Barracks in Sturbridge and charged with the following offenses:
1. Carrying a loaded firearm
2. Possession of a large capacity weapon or feeding device
3. Possession of a firearm without an FID card
4. Possession of ammo without an FID card
5. Improper storage of a large capacity firearm
6. Unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle
7. Non-transparent window
8. No inspection sticker
9. Equipment violation (brake light)
PORTELA was held on $10,000 bail pending his arraignment in Dudley District Court this morning.