Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan, Framingham Chief of Police Lester Baker, Massachusetts State Police Colonel John Mawn, the MetroWest Drug Task Force, Michael Krol, Acting Special Agent in Charge for Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) in New England and the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) Boston, Financial Investigations Team today announced that 13 individuals have been arrested in connection with a large scale operation to traffic drugs including fentanyl, methamphetamine, pills and cocaine. The arrests were made at multiple locations early this morning as a result of a multi-agency investigation that took place over two years.
As a result of the 19 search warrants executed today, police seized approximately 6 kilograms of fentanyl, 2 kilograms of cocaine, 15 pounds of methamphetamine, 40 pounds of amphetamine and 15,000 pressed pills of fentanyl and methamphetamine. Some of the fentanyl and pills seized were found to contain xylazine, a tranquilizer that has been increasingly mixed with fentanyl and puts users at a higher risk of overdose and is not reversible with Narcan.
Also seized was, one unlawfully possessed firearm, three loaded magazines, over $100 thousand cash, $200 thousand worth of jewelry, and a pill press and other tools consistent with large scale drug distribution.
Thirteen high-end vehicles valued in over $800, including a Mercedes Benz SDN, Mercedes Benz SW, Range Rover, Toyota Supra, BMW X6 and BMW i8 were also seized.
The investigation covered communities across multiple counties in Massachusetts with connections in Rhode Island and New York. This morning search warrants were executed in Framingham, Peabody, Worcester, Ashland, Lawrence, Northbridge, Woburn and North Smithfield, Rhode Island.
On February 23, 2023, a Middlesex Superior Court Justice issued a wiretap warrant authorizing the interception of electronic communications relating to drug trafficking. Over the course of the investigation, police and prosecutors gathered evidence that SANDY MARTE-CARABALLO and OSNY DE LA CRUZ were allegedly leading and operating a drug trafficking enterprise that included allegedly dealing fentanyl, cocaine, methamphetamine and pressed pills to customers in the Woburn, Lawrence, Framingham, Natick, Ashland and Worcester area.
The individuals charged as a result of this investigation are listed below. It is expected that most of the arraignments will occur tomorrow in Lowell District Court.
- SANDY MARTE-CARABALLO, 34, of Woburn – Trafficking Fentanyl, Trafficking Cocaine, Trafficking Methamphetamine, Conspiracy to Violate the Drug Laws.
- OSNY DE LA CRUZ, 25, of Lawrence – Conspiracy to Violate the Drug Laws, Trafficking in Fentanyl over 10 grams, Trafficking in Cocaine over 200 grams, Trafficking in Class B amphetamines over 200 grams, and Trafficking in Class B methamphetamines over 200 grams.
- SANTOS MARTES, 31, of Peabody – Conspiracy to Violate the Drug Laws and Trafficking Cocaine over 200 grams.
- BRYAN MENDEZ, 28, of Worcester – Conspiracy to Violate the Drug Laws and Trafficking Cocaine over 200 grams.
- ANGEL BATTIATA, 27 – Trafficking of a Class B Controlled Substance.
- ROBERTO CASTRO, 34, of Worcester – Conspiracy to Violate the Drug Laws
- JOSHUA FONTAINE, 30, of Worcester – Conspiracy to Violate the Drug Laws, Trafficking in Cocaine over 36 grams, Trafficking in Methamphetamine over 36 grams.
- CHARLES JOHNSTON, 62, of Ashland, and Crystal Trauterman, 40, of Ashland – Possession with intent to distribute Class B Controlled Substance (cocaine) and Conspiracy to Violate the Drug Laws.
- MAIA MASSO, 28, of Framingham – Conspiracy to Violate the Drug Laws and Trafficking in Cocaine over 36 grams.
-CAMERON TRUDELL, 32, of Northbridge – Conspiracy to Violate the Drug Laws.
- EFRAIN URENA, 32, of Lawrence - Conspiracy to Violate the Drug Laws and Trafficking Cocaine over 200 grams.
- ANA CARABALLO, 56, of Worcester - Conspiracy to Violate the Drug Laws and Trafficking Cocaine over 200 grams.
This investigation was conducted by the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office, MetroWest Drug Task Force (comprised of detectives from Framingham, Ashland, Natick and Marlborough Police Department), Massachusetts State Police assigned to the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office, Massachusetts State Police assigned to the Essex District Attorney’s Office, Massachusetts State Police assigned to the Worcester District Attorney’s Office, Massachusetts State Police (CINRET) Commonwealth Interstate Narcotics Reduction Enforcement Team, Massachusetts State Police (CLET Team) Clandestine Laboratory Enforcement Team, Massachusetts State Police (VFAS) Violent Fugitive Apprehension Section, Massachusetts State Police Gang Unit, Massachusetts State Police STOP Team, Massachusetts State Police Crime Scene Services, Massachusetts State Police Gaming Commission, Rhode Island State Police, Connecticut State Police, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), Framingham Police Department, Woburn Police Department, Ashland Police Department, Natick Police Department, Marlborough Police Department, Worcester Police Department, Lawrence Police Department, Peabody Police Department, Methuen Police Department, Northbridge Police Department, United States Secret Service. The prosecutors assigned to this case are Michael Klunder and Mary O’Neill with assistance from Graham Van Epps and Pavan Nagavelli.